I lived in California during my college years and the one thing I probably miss the most (ok after the gorgeous beaches and In N Out Burgers) is the Mexican food! There was this little hut near my campus that had the most amazing fresh tacos and enchiladas. It was my ‘go to study place’, and dinner at least three times a week. The guacamole was outstanding! Not much has changed, my family still eats ALOT of Mexican food. We are on a first name basis with all the waiters at our local spot, and we usually cook something festive during the week too. Herdez Cooking Sauces are just 50¢ this week and let me tell you, my oh my it sure makes a mean Creamy Verde Chicken Enchiladas dish.
Not only is this meal easy, but EVERYTHING is on sale this week at Harris Teeter! Tortillas are buy one get one free, an onion came in under 50¢ and Herdez sauce is 50¢ after coupon. I decided to splurge on the cheese, although any cheese will do! All together (adding cilantro and a few tomatoes)
My bill was under $13 bucks!
Creamy Chicken Verde Enchiladas Ingredients
2lb Chicken (Everyday $1.99/lb!)
Herdez Verde Sauce (50¢ after coupon)
One White Onion (under 50¢)
8oz Shredded Cheese
1 Cilantro Bunch ($1.59)
1 Pack Burrito Size Tortillas (99¢ this week)
1 8oz Sour Cream ($1.50 Harris Teeter Brand)
First you need about 2 pounds of cooked shredded chicken and one cooked onion. I stuck my chicken and onion in my wi-fi crock pot (ya’ll I love that crock pot!) and cooked it with half of the Herdez Verdes sauce for about 6 hours on high. If your in a rush you can grab a rotisserie chicken and leave out the onion.
Next you’ll need to take the other half of the verde sauce, sour cream, and a handful of the fresh cilantro and blend it up.
Once your sauce is blended add half of it to your shredded chicken.
Then add about 1 cup of the chicken mixture to each tortilla and place them seam down in a casserole dish.
Once you finish, place the remaining sauce to the top. Lastly top with cheese. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
That’s it! Serve with a salad, rice and beans or just by itself.
- 2lb Chicken
- Herdez Verde Sauce
- One White Onion
- 8oz Shredded Cheese
- 1 Cilantro Bunch
- 1 Pack Burrito Size Tortillas
- 1 8oz Sour Cream
- First you need about 2 pounds of cooked shredded chicken and one cooked onion. I stuck my chicken and onion in my crock pot and cooked it with half of the Herdez Verdes sauce for about 6 hours on high. If your in a rush you can grab a rotisserie chicken and leave out the onion.
- In a blender mix the other half of the verde sauce, hand full of cilantro and sour cream.
- Add half of the mixed sauce to the chicken.
- Place 1 cup of chicken in each tortilla and place them seam side down in a casserole dish.
- When finished top with the remaining sauce and shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until bubbling.
Looking for more dinner inspiration? Check out my other Deals to Meals: